Saturday, February 18, 2017

Modules - Part 1

Benchwork has begun on the Somerset!  After a long time planning, I have built the first section.  For the Somerset layout, I am using a sectional approach to build the layout.  I am doing this for a few reasons.  First, by building manageable sections I can build each I can build each from the comfort of my workbench.  Second, it affords me the flexibility if I relocate some time in the future to easily remove and move the layout with me.  Third, it allows me in the ability to work on different aspects of the hobby, benchwork, track/wiring, and scenery.  Coincidentally, this is very similar to the The One Module Approach (TOMA) currently being discussed on Trainmasters TV.  The first video of this series can be found here:  http://trainmasters.tv/videos/2017-01-3.  To watch the video you will need a subscription to Trainmasters, which is something I highly recommend to any modeler out there.

For the first scene I will be modeling, I will be building a scene consisting of the west end of CP's Moosehead siding and bridge over the east outlet of the Kennebec River from Moosehead Lake.  This location is approximately four miles east of Somerset Junction and will be used as the eastern end of the CP mainline of my layout.

At the west end of the siding is a short spur for setting off bad orders
CMQ Job 1 passes over the west switch for the siding, with the East Outlet bridge in the distance

To construct these modules I started with a sheet of 3/4" plywood.  Using my table saws I ripped it down to strips approximately 1.25" and 3" of width.  See photo below.

Once all the pieces were cut to width, using one narrow and one wide piece I fashioned them together into a "L" girder.  Using the "L" girders I fabricated four modules measuring 1' by 4' each.  See close up below.



Finally, a few shots of all four modules temporarily setup in the workshop.  I will be relocating them to another area of the workshop soon.









No comments:

Post a Comment