Thursday, January 5, 2017

GP9 Project - An Update

I've gotten a bit of time in at the workbench this week, and they are inching towards completion.  I've now completed installing the Plano radiator shutters and grilles, which really look great.  Below I am including a series of photos to show how I went through this work.


First step is to remove the cast grilles on the shell.  To open up the grille, I used a larger bit (#50-60 range, specific size is unimportant) to drill a pair of holes in the corners of the mesh section of the grilles.  Then using an exacto keyhole saw blade, I cut out the remaining mesh, leaving the raised flange around the edge.  Once the mesh is removed, I then carved of the surrounding flange using a mix of exacto blades (#11 and #17).  It is important to only create a through hole large enough for the shutters to fit, you need to leave enough "meat" to install the new grilles onto.  Unfortunately, I neglected to take photos without the shutters installed, but see below for a view with the shutter installed without the replacement grille.



The photo below shows the shutters on the fret.  Each individual shutter is flat, as seen on the left.  Focusing on the set in the upper right, you can see I've folded the vanes, one half is folded down, the other up.  bending them is easy, only a little pressure using the side of a #11 blade was sufficient.  Ensure each vane is folded to about 90 degrees from the frame, this is necessary to allow the vanes on each half to mesh properly when you fold the halves together.
 
Once removed from the fret, you fold the halves together.  The next few photos show the part glued together.  After the halves are secured together, you can go back and set the position of the vanes, anywhere from full open to fully closed.  I set mine to approximately 45 degrees.
 
  

 After the shutters are installed, seen here is a generator grille that has been removed from the fret and cleaned up, all ready for installation.


Here is a close up of the installed grille.


Finally, this shell is nearly ready for the paint booth.


So at this point, I have three shells completed to this point.  Where this blog comes in handy, is not only am I able to share my work, I can utilize this space to document what I have done for future reference, and to help organize remaining work on projects to help me push towards completion.


Work remaining on the GP9s:
- Install lift rings
- Paint/Decal
- Install remaining fan parts
- Install grab irons
- Install antenna, MU hoses
- Weather
- Install glass parts (windows, numberboards, lights)
- Prepare drive, including prepping for sound installation (control system of choice to be discussed in a later post)
- Install couplers


Please feel free to comment, and to make suggestions.  I hope this blog helps me stay organized because I can be forgetful from time to time, so if I seem to be missing something, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment