Sunday, February 26, 2017

Modules - Part 2

Some progress has been made since my last update.  First, household management required a relocation of the module set up.  Therefore the modules have been relocated to the other side of the room as to not block the windows.


After moving the modules, I began building the sub road bed.  Using more 3/4" plywood, I created risers to support the main line at an equal height to the 2" foam I'll use for a scenery base.  I do this because I don't care for the noise created when track is laid directly onto foam.  Even with cork roadbed I find there is too much noise, at least for through tracks.

Mock up of the riser with foam on either side.  Riser is constructed of 3/4" plywood ripped into track wide strips, with 1 1/4" support blocks to establish the correct height.

As I relocated the modules, I determined that the module for the East Outlet bridge was not located properly, so I built two additional modules  that are two feet long to center the bridge within an 8' section (one 2' module on either side of the bridge module, instead of a 4' on one end).  The added bonus is I now have a spare 4' module to use!

 The 8' East Outlet section.  The new 2' modules can be seen in the immediate foreground and in the far background, bridge will be located in the middle of this photo

On the Moosehead Siding end, I doubled the width of the sub roadbed to support the siding.  At this point the sub roadbed haas been secured using a combination of wood glue and nails.  I'm sure that some of you may question my use of nails as opposed to screws, so permit me to explain.  On joints that will not be disassembled, I prefer to use glue to strengthen the joint.  Since the joint is glued, the fastener type becomes unimportant, and either nail or screw could be used.  I have found that using my nailer is faster than screws, and I have had no issues with the wood splitting and I do not have to worry about countersinking the screws.  The photo above shows several joints where you can see the results of this style of construction.

West end of Moosehead Siding 

Roughing in the foam.  The Lackawanna geep will be rebuilt for the Somerset at some future date.

Cork roadbed laid out to mock up where the tracks will go.  The geep is on the main, and the wide strip to the left will be the siding and the storage spur.



 At this point the wooden sub roadbed is fully installed.  I've started working on the foam, but nothing is permanently attached as of yet.  Same goes for the cork roadbed.  Hopefully in the next few weeks I can make progress on that.



No comments:

Post a Comment