Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Modules - An Update

It's been awhile since I've written about my modules of the west end of Moosehead siding.  In fact, there was little to no progress for several months.  This was due to a lack of track necessary to proceed further.  Fast forward four months, and a box arrived at my door with the required components. 




Track parts in hand it was time to get to work!  Also, picked up a book for a little light reading while the adhesives dry.



  First, I laid out the CV tie strips.  This is an older photo mocking up the scene.


Mainline tie strips laid and glued down.  I'm using the same PL300 adhesive here as I used for securing the foam board. 


 #10 Shinohara switch installed.  I opted for the Shinohara switch because it was the only option for that size, short of splurging on a fast tracks setup.  I'll use this switch for now, later I likely will get a fast tracks jig, and will replace this switch at a later time.  I based my switch sizes on the prototype, the main switch is approximately a #10, the spur is #7. The tie strip for the #7 switch can be seen in the background.  I will be using CV switch kits extensively, unfortunately they aren't available larger than a #9.



Laying out the rail over the tie strips.  I'm using Micro Engineering Code 83 for these modules, on all tracks.  The prototype is all 100 pound rail, including the spur.  Code 83 is too large for 100 pound rail, but since the #10 switch is only available in Code 83 I'm stuck for the time being.  To use Code 70 would be cost prohibitive at this point.


Now that track is in hand, I expect to make steady progress in the near future, so look for an another update soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment