Thursday, September 7, 2017

Moving West....

Now that the trackwork for Moosehead siding is complete, I shifted my attention slightly to the west.  A conversation with a friend got me motivated to get the foam roughed in for the East Outlet scene.  I had to first modify the benchwork.  As originally built, I determined the foam base layer would not have sufficient clearance beneath the bridge.  I cut out the top portion of the L-girder, gaining an additional 3/4" of clearance. 


I added the cut piece to the backside of the front girder to minimize lost strength.  I opted not to repeat the process on the rear of the module, as I can incorporate the additional height into the scenery, as a short distance behind the bridge is a dam.  The dam is clearly visible in this photo from Harry Gordon.


 
After the frame was modified, I shaped the foam to fit.  Here are the results.



Tools of the trade:  A utility knife and a saw.  The saw is a handy tool by Milwaukee that uses blades for reciprocating saws.  A fine tooth blade cuts quickly through the foam.


Test fitting the bridge.  Now to commence installation.

Bonus Shot:  Extra 6038 heads west after passing the markers of an eastbound waiting on the siding.

No comments:

Post a Comment