Monday, September 18, 2017

The Skies Are the Limit...

This update is a bit slow in coming, as the past week has been very hectic at home.  However, last week, I was able to get the backdrop built and installed.  I opted to use sheets of 5.5mm underlayment board for my backdrop.  It offers a smoother finish than 1/4" plywood options at my local Home Depot, and it was cheaper as well.  Since either 5.5mm or 1/4" wood is fairly flexible, I bought a second sheet that I ripped down on my table saw.  The support pieces ended up at about 7 1/4" wide.  This was a convenient dimension as I set the guide bar to 6" on the built in scale, neglecting to add the extra 1 1/4" that the scale is offset by.  Why that is, I honestly don't know.  Either way, the actual width of the support strips is relatively unimportant anyways.  Ultimately I ended up with eight strips for the backing from a full 4x8 sheet.  I set aside the two best looking strips, I'll use those for the fascia later on.  Once the strips were cut, I selected two full length strips for the top of the backdrop board.  I then measured for the vertical pieces.  I did not double up the bottom edge as the backdrop is screwed in several places.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of this part of the process.

After all the pieces are cut, I commandeered an area of the living room to glue the backdrop panels together.  Thankfully my wife was supportive and approved the temporary acquisition.


 Close up view.

After the glue dried, I attached the panels to the back of the modules.  See the results below.




Now that the backdrop is installed, I admit I'm not sure I've completely happy with it.  When I cut the panels, ultimately I was lazy and simply cut the 4x8 sheet in half resulting in a backdrop that measures 24" from module base to top.  I feel that the vertical height (approximately 18.5 inches above the railhead) is too much, particularly since the modules are only a little more than a foot deep.  It will be something for me to think upon.  Fortunately, its as simple as removing the screws and sending the panels through the table saw again to make a change.  But that will be something to consider in the future.  I welcome opinions on this pondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment